James C. Ochs
Since 1984, James C. Ochs has tried over 125 jury trials in Missouri, Illinois,
and Florida, including jury trials to verdicts in both criminal and civil
matters, over 500 bench trials, and appellate cases in Missouri, Illinois,
and Georgia. His experience ranges across a variety of
practice areas, including
business litigation and civil matters. James C. Ochs has developed a practice defending contractors
criminally prosecuted for consumer fraud. He has successfully represented
accused contractors and individuals in Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio,
Minnesota, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Colorado, Iowa, Georgia, Florida,
Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Michigan, Oklahoma, Kansas, California, Nebraska,
Mississippi, and South Carolina. For over 30 years, James C. Ochs has
staunchly represented his clients in a variety of matters, and continues
to draw on his experience to pursue justice for individuals and their families.
Appellate Court Decisions
Obtained reversal of Judgment in Dissolution of Marriage for wife for improper
abatement of child support due to claimed interference with visitation.
Cule v. Cule, WL343128 (Mo. App. E.D. 2015).
Obtained reversal of Judgment in Dissolution of Marriage for husband for
improper valuation of marital business interest providing law that fair
market value is the preferred methodology.
Wood v. Wood, 361 S.W.3d 36 (Mo. App. E.D. 2011).
Obtained reversal of Judgment in reference to court using stale data for
determining marital value of investment account.
Meier v. Meier, 306 S.W.3d 692 (Mo. App. E.D. 2010).
Obtained reversal of judgment against car dealership involving alleged
violation of Missouri Merchandising Practices Act.
Woods v. Mehlville Chrysler-Plymouth, Inc., 198 S.W.3d 165 (Mo. App. E.D. 2006).
Obtained reversal of convictions for Murder in the Second Degree and Armed
State v. Battle, 32 S.W.3d 193 (Mo. App. E.D. 2000)
Judgment upheld in favor of changing custody from mother to joint physical
custody with father.
Cromer ex rel. Cromer v. Tucker, 987 S.W.2d 470 (Mo. App. E.D. 1999)
Won the right to hearing on ability to pay in a family law case.
Wagner v. Wagner, 945 S.W.2d 689 (Mo. App. E.D. 1997)
Obtained reversal of conviction for Deviant Sexual Assault in First Degree.
State v. Ellis, 820 S.W.2d 699 (Mo. App. E.D. 1991)
Common-law doctrine of interspousal immunity is not a bar to claims for
personal injuries inflicted by one spouse against another during marriage.
Townsend v. Townsend, 708 S.W.2d 646 (Mo. banc 1986)
Obtained reversal of conviction for Involuntary Manslaughter.
State v. Goforth, 721 S.W.2d 756 (Mo. App. E.D. 1986)
Licensed to Practice Law
- Missouri, 1984
- Illinois, 1986
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri, 1985
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 1990
- U.S. Tax Court, 1987
- Supreme Court of the United State of America, 1990
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2016
- Charles M. Shaw; Shaw, Howlett & Schwartz, Associate, 1984-87
- Harlan & Harlan, Associate, 1987-90
- Schwartz & Ochs, Partner, 1990-99
- James C. Ochs, Attorney, P.C., 1999-2006
- Ochs & Klein Attorneys, P.C.,, Partner, 2006- Present
- Southern Illinois University – Carbondale, B.S., 1981
- St. Louis University School of Law, Juris Doctorate, 1984